Tuesday, November 4, 2008

It's Today

OMG...

Still confounds me every time I read stuff like this, but that someone could get up on their hind legs and crow about how they won't vote for Obama, because they "don't like black people" - holy s&*t! To quote my favorite dead journalist hero, Molly Ivins, "dumber'n a bag of hair."

This is the American Presidential Election of the year 2008, 143 years after the end of the Civil War, and forty years after the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr., and someone still has the stones to use that as as an excuse for not voting their own party. How absolutely Neanderthal! I totally get the "he doesn't represent my values" crowd, because at least they have specious reason that he doesn't go to their church, or he's "too young" - like Bush - or they believe that wealthy people need to be more wealthy - hey, even I understand someone believing that the rich deserve more money than God. But not to vote for someone because he's the wrong color?

(well... OK... I wouldn't vote for the dark purple one myself, but still...)

There's a neat audioblog where people can record via phone why they voted for whoever they voted for, or why they aren't going to vote at all. A direct quote - "I voted for John McCain, because I'm an ass."

I'm now convinced that I am a racist, too, somehow.

1 comment:

Phoebe said...

For your enjoyment: http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2008-11-05/the-end-of-fuck-whitey-1/